You’ve typed your resume a million times and maybe even had it reviewed by your friends or parents. The trouble with retyping the same resume is that over time you might stop seeing mistakes because “you’ve seen it so many times.”
The biggest resume mistake people make is not following directions! When applying for a job the company will usually provide you with their preference on how they like their resume prepared.
There are some really good templates you can use if you don’t know where to start. Click here for more information about resume templates.
If they do not give you specific instructions, then here are some resume basics that should be followed; use resume paper, use a readable font (preferably something like Times New Roman), do not place your resume in an envelope when mailing it out, double-check for grammar and spelling errors.
Below are the 5 most common mistakes people make when writing their resumes.
- Mistake number one is spelling and grammar errors. If you want a professional job, write like a professional. Another common mistake people make on their resumes is using passive language. An example of passive language is, “The project was developed by the team.” An active voice would be, “The team developed the project.” In resume writing, it is best to use an active voice.
- Mistake number two is not having an objective statement at the beginning of your resume. Include a resume objective that will give the reader insight into what type of job you are looking for. Having an objective helps keep your resume focused and on track.
- Mistake number three is lying or exaggerating on your resume. It may seem tempting to do this, but it will only backfire on you later. In the interview, your resume will be brought up as a part of the screening process and if you have been caught lying about anything it might not go so well. Be truthful, be honest, and prepare to back up any resume information that is false.
- Mistake number four is not having a good resume summary statement. The resume summary statement allows you to provide the reader with an overview of your resume in one or two sentences. It will make it easier for hiring managers to know who you are right away. Also, forgetting to include your best contact information is a big no-no. Whether you have a resume that is emailed or mailed it is vital to have your best contact information included on your resume.
- Mistake number five is only using one resume for all jobs. If you are applying to different types of jobs then it is important to tailor your resume for each job. You should focus on the skills required for that particular job and how your resume matches up with those skills.
In summary, resume mistakes are something that should not be taken lightly, so take the time to make sure your resume is perfect. Finally, make sure your resume isn’t too long. It should be between 1-2 pages depending on what type of position you are applying for.