EFFECTIVE HOME REMEDIES FOR THOSE PESKY DRAIN FLIES
If you’ve ever gone on a long vacation and came back to see kitchen sinks and bathroom sinks all festered with drain flies, then we can understand your pain. These pesky fuzzy little insects are ones that live on in the sinks of bathrooms or kitchens due to their moist environment. If they’re in smaller numbers, then it should not even bother you. They help to decompose and break down the matter inside the drains; this can be highly beneficial. However, once they multiply, they can be very annoying. Here are some home remedies to get rid of the drain flies in your house.
What you should know:
We feel that it is necessary for you to know some facts about drain flies before you can get to getting rid of them. Generally, these drain flies are harmless and will not affect you in any harmful way. In fact, if they are in smaller numbers, they are actually good for your house as they eat out the rotting matter and gunk inside your sink which can really hard for you to reach and clean out. However, when in larger numbers, they can be annoying and be a cause of uneasiness. They also give off the notion that the house is unclean. You can easily spot them resting on walls and on the sink.
What you can do:
- Get them out naturally and quickly
The best and quickest home remedies control drain flies from your drain pipe is to buy a masking tape, paper tape or duct tape and place it on your sink. You can even use a piece of flypaper. All you need to do is cut a bit of the adhesive strip and snap it on to the mouth of the drain pipe. You can leave it there for a while. And afterward, you’ll notice that the drain flies have stuck on to the adhesive material. You can then dispose of them.
- Or you can use these other techniques
- You can use a metal brush pipe and brush the drain pipe back and forth. Then you can rinse the entire drain pipe with hot boiling water to get rid of these pests.
- You can take liquid dish soap and add some water and vinegar into a solution. You can then apply this solution to your kitchen and your sink. This will attract the drain flies and will eventually drown them.
- If you don’t want to use chemicals or any of those things, then you can boil water and rinse your drain pipe with it. You must repeat this for at least 1-2 weeks.
- Additionally, what you can do is, you can take half a cup of apple cider, half a cup of salt, half a cup of baking soda and drain it. Leave it overnight and then rinse the drain pipe with boiling water later.
With all of these remedies and quick ways to get rid of drain flies, we hope your bathroom and kitchen will stay clean and free from pests. Rinse your drain pipe with boiling water at least once a week in order to avoid future infestation.