Key Values of a 143-Year Old University in Alabama
Alabama A&M University is a fantastic university and one that is highly respected all over the country. Kevin Rolle, the school’s Executive Vice President and COO, is incredibly proud of its rich heritage and history. The school has existed for some 143 years and it has always worked on being as connected, as energetic, and as innovative as possible.
Today’s students of the university are aspirational. They are dreamers with clear goals in mind. They like to be challenged in all elements of their lives. Rolle is particularly proud of the historic beginnings of the school and ensures all students understand this, and learn how to apply the lessons from the past onto the real world issues of today.
The school believes in social justice. They have always aimed to make the state of Alabama, and the nation as a whole, a better, fairer place to live in for everybody, believing that this will also impact the rest of the world in a positive way. Hence, students are always encouraged to perform research and make discoveries that may just change the world for the better.
Alabama A&M University is on Huntsville, Alabama. However, their reach goes far beyond this. They regularly take on new partnerships with local and state businesses and organizations, aiming to improve the economy of all of Alabama, but particularly the state’s north, where the school is located. Their graduates are respected all over the country and beyond for their fantastic level of education.
Indeed, the school itself has been recognized for its excellence, and alumni often comment on how the school was pivotal in their ability to achieve their potential in the workplace and in life. Some of the recognitions A&M University has received, while under guidance of Kevin Rolle, include:
- S. News and World Report ranking it 22ndin 2011-12.
- 71stout of 551 universities according to the Washington Monthly’s MASTER’s Universities in 2013, 202 out of 553 in 2011, and 211 out of 551 in 2010.
- Ranking in the top 15 in the country for STEM graduates from minority backgrounds by diverse Issues.
- Ranking in the top 10 of undergraduate programs in engineering for minority students by Diverse Issues.
- 8thin the country for undergraduate programs in education for minority students by Diverse Issues.
- 7thin the country for undergraduate programs in biological sciences for minority students by Diverse Issues.
- 5thin the country for undergraduate programs in agriculture for minority students by Diverse Issues.
- 12thin the country for undergraduate programs in mathematics for minority students by Diverse Issues.
- 2ndin the country for doctorate degrees in agriculture-related fields to minority students by Diverse Issues.
- 3d in the country for master’s degrees in agriculture to minority students by Diverse Issues.
Some believe it is the work of Knolle that drove the school to such greats. He, however, believes that it is due to the work done as part of a team, and that includes the faculty and the students.